This recipe is coming at you from @tara_eats_whole. I love following the Instagrams of people like this because they inspire me to eat whole, real foods and give such great recipe ideas! These Asian lettuce wraps are a great appetizer or even a meal, and I have yet to find a person that doesn’t like them!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 lb. ground meat (I use beef, but turkey or pork will do)
- 1 tbsp oil (I use coconut oil, but you can use avocado or olive oil)
- 1 small diced onion
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 4 cups shredded carrots or cabbage (you can buy this pre-mixed in a bag)
- Chopped bell pepper (use as much as desired)
- 1 tsp fresh or ground ginger
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (you can find this at Whole Foods or on Amazon- it’s basically a soy sauce substitute but healthy! I even put it on my eggs in the morning)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Lettuce for wrapping (butter lettuce works great)
- Optional garnishes- cilantro, chives, cashews, mustard, etc.
And here’s what you do:
Brown your meat in the oil. Once browned add the veggies and seasonings and saute until the veggies are cooked, which will take about 10-15 minutes. Then just add the mixtures onto the lettuce and enjoy! So simple and delicious! Plus, most of the ingredients are staples in my kitchen, so not much needs to be bough each time I make them.
Until next time,