I never really understood the chia seed craze until I really looked into them. Turns out, they have some great health benefits! So I went to Costco and picked up a bag to try. Here’s what I learned:
- Chia seeds are higher in antioxidants than any other food. Including blueberries!
- These seeds are considered whole grains and contain 11g of fiber in just 2 tablespoons! Can you say, healthy digestion?
- They are one of the few seeds our bodies can digest whole. No need to ground them up to get the health benefits! BUT if you do want to ground them up it’s a great gluten-free flour alternative!
- Protein! Chia seeds contain 4g of protein per 2 tablespoons, which makes it a great addition to your post-workout smoothie.
- These power seeds also contain 18% of your daily calcium and lots of good fats like omega-3 fatty acids.
SO! What have we learned? Chia seeds are a great addition to your diet to get a little boost of nutrition! But in what ways can we add them to our diets? Here’s how:
- Sprinkle on salads, because like I said earlier, our bodies can digest these seeds whole!
- Add into any smoothie
- Ground them up and use as an alternative to flour
- Make chia seed pudding! Don’t know how? Scroll down for my recipe for chocolate chia pudding.
Chocolate Chia Pudding
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons agave or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Place all ingredients in a mason jar and shake vigorously. Place in fridge for about 20-30 minutes, then enjoy! You can also make this the night before and enjoy the next day. Top with unsweetened coconut shavings like I did, or you can add pomegranate seeds, dark chocolate, whatever you want! This pudding is a great way to get 2 servings of these powerful seeds.
Happy eating, everyone!
Until next time,