Structure is important if you want to achieve fitness goals like losing weight, toning up, and feeling better. You need a plan and small daily goals to get you to your larger goals. These are things I make a conscious decision each day to follow and are steps that keep me healthy, preventing me from slipping up. If you don’t follow each of these steps try adopting one at a time for a healthier you!
1. Drink water. Each morning before I do anything else I drink 1/2 liter of water, and then drink 1 1/2 more liters of water throughout the day. At least. When I do not do this my headaches come back, I don’t sleep well, and I get super bloated. So many people could feel so much better just by simply drinking enough water each day!
2. Keep snacks on hand. How many times do we get hungry and reach for the closest, easiest thing? The answer is, all the time! When your out and about and know you won’t be home for a while keep a healthy snack in your purse or in your car. Reach for that instead of heading for the nearest fast food restaurant. My favorite things to keep in my purse are raw almonds and Larabars.
3. Eat breakfast. I always eat breakfast and I sometimes forget that not everyone does! It’s so important to kick start your metabolism with a healthy meal. It fuels your body for the rest of the day and will curb your cravings so you won’t reach for that donut when you get to work!
4. Keep junk out of the house. We usually never have junk food in our house. No chips, no cookies, no brownie mix just waiting to be made after a stressful day at work. Out of sight, out of mind, right!? (Keep on the lookout for a post on my kitchen staples-what I actually do keep in the house!) You want a snack at my house? Here’s a larabar, a banana, carrots and hummus, or some yogurt.
5. Sleep. I take my sleep very seriously (just ask my husband). Your body needs sleep to rest, recover, and repair itself. There are some things only sleep can do! Try to get a full 8 hours and your body and mind will thank you.
6. Eat clean. What does this mean? Eat real food. Fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grains. Need meal ideas? Check these ideas out for clean eating throughout the day:
7. MOVE! I used to dread working out. Now, I thrive on it. You can’t beat the feeling of contentment after a workout. You’ve worked hard, sweat, and gave your body something it needs and craves. Not to mention you’re gaining strength! Exercise flushes out all the waste your body needs to get rid of and in return boosts your endorphin level. Not in the habit of exercising yet? Ready my How to Jump Back on the Fitness Bandwagon post. Need more variety in your workouts? Here are some ideas:
This week I challenge you to adopt one of these steps into your daily life. Whether it be purging all the junk food in your house or making a conscious effort to drink more water, pick one and try to stick with it for one week. Then…see how you feel! Did it help your mood or energy levels? Then try another!
I hope every had a great week and will have an even better weekend!
Until next time,